Part of my role with Lyrical Press, the main digital imprint of Kensington Publishing Corp is looking out for new acquisitions. This Sub Call is good for three months from today. Please email query, manuscript, and synopsis to Corinne: email@example.com and cc: Martin Biro – firstname.lastname@example.org
The good news is this year Lyrical is expanding to take on more than just romance. It is still our main genre, but we are looking to include non-romance titles into our catalog, as well.
As of right now, Kensington are looking for the following for Lyrical:
- Romantic Suspense
- Straight Suspense
- Historical Romance
But saying that, Kensington are open to anything that is awesome. So I’m going to stretch those wants a bit farther. I’d love to also see the following:
- Young Adult historical romance
- Young Adult dystopian romance
- Non-romance Young Adult (any subgenre but no angst please)
- New Adult – the sexier the better
- Stories set in non-US locations – from Ireland to the Ukraine to Bangladesh (but please, only stories where the author either has intimate knowledge of these locations or has done some hefty research. I can always tell when a writer is fluffing their setting, and setting is key to good storytelling)
- Romance with the heroines in a high-stress position such as fighter pilot, helicopter pilot, ship captain, surgeon or nontraditional, male-dominated roles, such as construction, mining, space travel, firefighter, camel trainer – you get the idea. Or maybe even if they just have a quirky position in life that others would find interesting because it’s SO different.
- Pure fantasy romance. Not UF, but pure worldbuilding fantasy with everything from dragons to warlocks to elves. Higher heat level preferred.
- Romance that includes current events or problems that we face in our society
- LGBT but with a strong suspense, thriller or otherwise dynamic plot, not just a characterization plot.
* Please allow me a couple months to get back to you, depending on the response from the sub call*
Check out the website for info on what Lyrical offers and submission guidelines.
Any book over 60K will be released simultaneously in digital and print!